This exercise is about tensing the muscle in one or more parts of your body, holding the tension and then releasing it suddenly.
- Focus first on your hands
- Clench your fists tightly for a few seconds -hold for the count of 3 seconds, counting them out – 1, 2, 3. You may wish to progressively hold for 4 seconds, then 5 or even more. Make sure you are able to do this reasonably comfortably
- Release the tension all in one go – make sure that the tension is released all at once with a feeling of floppiness at the end
- Repeat this with your hands and lower arms
- Repeat this with your hands and your whole arms
- Repeat this exercise with your feet, then feet and lower legs, then feet and whole of legs
- Finally hold the muscles of your entire body tense, hold for the count of 3 and at 3 release all tension from your body.