Eating well is about providing your body and mind with nutrients that keep you active and alert, as well as about enjoying the food you eat. Ideally you want to be eating five serves of vegetables and two serves of fruit a day, plus keeping your fluid intake up by drinking plenty of water.
In the last few years, a lot more people have become interested in food and cooking, and it is certainly more socially acceptable for men to enjoy cooking than it was a generation ago.
Here are some simple tips for eating well:
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Avoid snacking between meals or stick with healthy snacks like fruits and nuts.
- Plan healthy, quick and easy meals for busy days.
- Make use of the freezer – cook 2-3 meals worth at a time.
- Enjoy cooking – experiment with new foods and try new recipes (there are literally thousands of recipes online).
- Take regular drinks of water
- Make the most of foods in season.
- Enjoy meal times- turn off the television while you eat.
- Invite a friend around to eat, or better yet, to help cook.
- Eat slowly and savour every bite.
- Cook using fresh, local ingredients.
- Have a variety of coloured vegetables on your plate
- Try not to eat after 8pm for healthy digestion and sleep
- Include fish in your diet
- Eat main meals without meat once or twice a week.
- Listen to your body – eat slowly and stop when you feel full.
- Try growing your own veggies, fruit or herbs.